There is something magical about the smell of Strawberry Jam as it cooks. It's days like this I feel lucky to have my little business, happily chopping, cooking and getting high on strawberry fumes.I was so lucky to run into my favourite organic grocer, Bernie, at the fresh markets last week. He'd sourced some beautiful 'storm damaged' strawberries and was happy to share with me as well as his customers. I still can't understand why they were determined to be damaged - they look (and smelled...and tasted!) absolutely perfect to me.
So I set about chopping them roughly, cooking them with a few vanilla pods until just set, then bottling them up. I must say I'm pretty chuffed with the result - I've managed to keep the the beautiful colour, add a subtle vanilla flavour and the end product is a beautiful soft set jam - you know, the type that oozes off whatever you're eating so that just have to lick your fingers and reminds you of the joys of eating?
0 comments:
Post a Comment